Sunday, September 23, 2012

Social Media Burn

We live in an era of instant gratification where people can access whatever information they seek within a few clicks.  They can get a meal within minutes at a fast food joint, and they can even lose up to 30 pounds in a month if they're willing to pop pills.

With so many possibilities, what does that mean for us?  The answer is impatience.

I think about how many times a teenager will shake his/her head at me because I remember looking up books in a card catalog.  Hell, I went to a library!  But more importantly, I recall the days before the Internet.  Days where I had to rely on gaining knowledge from a book or from an educated person.

When I tie this rational to social movements, I become a bit apprehensive.  Occupy has succeeded in generating dialogue that hasn't existed since the 1920's.  Yet, so many people consider them a failure because they have not changed government the way that the Tea Party has.  Perhaps we should consider the idea that good things come to those who wait.  Those who work hard for their cause and realize that things do not happen over night.  Blood, sweat, and tears are often involved.

In the state of our world today, we should measure success on how long something lasts, not how quickly the outcome arises. 

No comments:

Post a Comment