In today's age of technology, many views differ on its effectiveness. Some people think these advancements help us evolve, and some believe they actually set us back.
In the case of "Arab Spring," social media outlets like Facebook played a key role. Upon research, I found that some reporters tried to downplay its involvement even though statistics showed that protestors turned to Facebook for vital information during that time. In fact, the number of users jumped by 30 percent, compared with 18 percent growth during the same period in 2010 (Huang).
While I recognize that protesting has been around for a very long time, I cannot deny the fact that technology can help streamline efforts, opening the door for better communication. As Nathan Singer mentioned during class, much of Martin Luther King Jr.'s success derived from his ability to channel television for his cause. He garnered support from all over the country utilizing that innovative (at the time) media.
The same can be said here. Facebook is a newer media that can reach people throughout the world.
I stand with those who believe technology keeps us moving forward. It enhances classic methods. And in the case of "Arab Spring," this outlet allowed more people to get involved.
*Source: Huang, Carol. "Facebook and Twitter Key to Arab Spring Uprisings: Report." The National.
N.p., 06 June 2011. Web. 09 Sept. 2012.
<http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-news/facebook-and-twitter-key-to-arab-spring-uprisings-report>.
No comments:
Post a Comment