Bottled Water
Years ago, I had heard about the dangers of drinking water from a bottle that has been roasting in the sun. I remember one of those chain e-mails went around, claiming these bottles caused cancer.
I have to admit that I didn't give it much thought until I saw Corey's presentation recently. The only thing that every really bothered me about water bottles was the cost, especially if you buy one from a vending machine. For just a dollar more, you can get a whole pack of Nestle Pure Life.
Corey had suggested that we refill our own bottles. This process is cost effective, but is it really safe?
One of my fears with re-usable bottles is the bacteria that builds up. I heard that in a span of 3 weeks, over 8 strains of bacteria can form. Sure, you can scrub your bottle really hard and follow tips like sticking with stainless steel and buying one with a wide mouth. But truthfully, who has time to thoroughly disinfect his/her bottle? Moreover, who wants to take the time? Not me.
Then there's the whole convenience factor. In the time it takes me to disinfect my bottle, I could reach for a Nestle Pure Life. Then I can throw it away without thinking about the new bacteria strains that may have just formed.
I think Corey's argument was compelling, and I will try my best to use my own water bottle. I have to confess one point though. Until I have undeniable proof that someone I know caught cancer from bottled water, I will probably still buy them from time to time.
Human Trafficking
When Lisa mentioned that human trafficking is prevalent here in Ohio, I was not remotely surprised. Evil lies everywhere, even in the Midwest.
My best friend, on the other hand, was shocked. "That kind of thing doesn't happen here," she exclaimed.
"Why not?"
"Because...we're more civilized here."
She explained to me how we don't beat people in the middle of streets or bribe citizens like other countries. I just shook my head. Of course we do that. It's just not as mainstream. The media convinces us that these tragedies are just anomalies, but they're not. They happen everyday, hidden from our middle-class eyes.
Let's talk about the Philippines for a moment. The age of consent there is 18...allegedly. The truth is that anything can be negotiated as long as money is involved. The place that Lisa referred to that features children under 16 is 100% acceptable because the government and police force receive profits from that group. As long as the cash flows, the government is willing to ignore the law.
Now let's get back to the U.S. We may not publicly participate in crooked behavior like that, but it doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. As I type this, there are teenage prostitutes who survive by turning tricks. There are cops who look the other way because they are being paid by pimps.
We may be more "civilized" as a whole, but we are all humans underneath it all with desires (some of which are very twisted). And where there's good, there's bad. Human nature sees to that.
No comments:
Post a Comment