When Lisa mentioned that some of the pollutants from fracking ended up in Warren, Ohio, I felt compelled to do some research. I am from Akron, which is about an hour east of Warren. The oddity for me is that I never once heard anything about fracking until I moved to southwest Ohio. Either northeast Ohioans are oblivious or they just don't understand the implications of this process.
Warren did not have any laws or regulations against fracking. They simply had the freedom to dispose of waste in their sewer systems. However, once the EPA became involved, they did have to shut down operations. Another interesting point that I discovered was a local article that downplayed the dangers of fracking. It had indicated that fracking does not contaminate well water. This fact explains why northeast Ohio folks do not get up in arms about this topic.
Last week, there was an earthquake in Kentucky. Many of my Cincinnati friends felt the tremors. This got me thinking about fracking because many scientists have linked fracking to earthquakes. I think it's time for everyone to get on board with this. Fracking doesn't just pollute our water; it causes irreversible destruction.
No comments:
Post a Comment